Saturday 18 October 2014

How to Look after Your hair




I've become somewhat obsessed with hair ever since I made the decision to go natural 2 years ago. Back then, I had very little knowledge on how to go about this whole "natural hair" business, but I was surprised to discover that for years, there's been a lot of blogs, vlogs and websites dedicated to natural hair enthusiasts and curious individuals like I was. I've gathered so much information that my brain could burst (more on that in another blog), and sometime I amuse myself by just how many little "tips and tricks" I know when it comes to taking care of my hair.

When I big-chopped, April 2013

Let's be honest, everybody wants to look good. Some prefer being a full-time weave type of girl, while others (like me) like to change our look constantly. I had decided to go natural initially because I wanted to get dreadlocks (more on that later), but decided against it because that would practically be my permanent and only hairstyle! *yawn*. I've been experimenting along the way with different protective styles and discovering what best suits my hair. Here are a number of ways I protect my hair and encourage growth:

1. Braids

box braids
Anybody who really knows me well knows that lately I've become a big fan of braids. Braids make life so much easier for me because I just wake up, shake up, tie up and go. I moisturise my scalp regularly with my own concoction of water, cantu shea butter leave-in conditioner  and a drop of tea tree oiltea tree oil to soothe my scalp, and then seal in the moisture with either coconut oil or jojoba oil. I can do box braids then twists or marley hair twists which are more like my natural hair texture. I can styles it up however I want to unlike weave which I usually cannot tie up into a bun without exposing my tracks from the back (the struggle is real!). However, like anything related to styling your hair or generally trying to improve your appearance, braids have their own pros and cons.

Pros:
  • You can keep them in for a long time, between 4-6 weeks
  • You can style them in so many ways
  • They're relatively easy to maintain and do not require too much attention
Cons:
  • Braids are notorious for damaging hairlines due to tightness. I've personally struggled for a while with thinning edges due to braids that are too tight. We've all seen many people whose hairlines now seem to begin int he middle of their head by the soft-spot due to hairstyles that are too tight. You don't want to be that girl. *shakes head*
  • Braids, especially chunky box braids, tend to be too heavy on your hair, thus hair falls or thins out due to being stretched too much. 
How to look after braids and to avoid the cons:
  • Avoid tying your hair too tight in a ponytail or bun as this actually increases the chances of a receding hairline.
  • Don't forget your actual hair is also still attached to your scalp, therefore moisturise your hair daily to avoid a dry, flaky scalp (nobody likes a dry, flaky scalp. Eurgh)
  • Make sure you wash your hair! Many people believe that washing your hair in braids will loosen them, therefore they shouldn't. True, the braid becomes a little loose at the root, depending on how you handled the hair during shampooing. However, products, sweat, dust and dead skin cells build up on your scalp, and the resulting smell is a little bit hideous. I'd encourage you to wash your hair about weekly or fortnightly to unclog your pores so your scalp can actually breathe, and also to get rid of any "subtle" smells. I personally wash it once a week and sometimes once a fortnight, depending on how busy I am.
2. Weave


Purple-ish Brazilian weave with lace closure

Sometimes you just get tired of having the same hairstyle, same texture, same look for a long time! When those times come, change is needed! My second favourite protective style is weave, because I get to have a different texture of hair without compromising my own natural texture. I can have straight hair without having to straighten my natural hair and ruining my beautiful curl-pattern. Weaves are also perfect for winter when the winds are cold and the weather is too harsh on your hair. But, as with braids, weave has its own pros and cons, and here are some of the ones I usually weigh out to decide whether or not to have a weave sewn in.

Pros

  • You can choose ANY hairstyle you want when it comes to weave; short, long, straight, curly, experiment with colour, pixie cut without cutting your actual hair? What's not to love about that!
  • You can keep them in for as long as you like (between 4-6 weeks recommended)##
  • Your hair gets to rest and hide away from the harsh weather conditions.

Cons

  • Weave tends to make my scalp itchy. Last time I got a weave done, I developed some bumps resulting from the tightness of the cornrows, which are still hard to get rid of. 
  • It is very bad during summer when it's just too hot and you get all sweaty and that
  • If the weave is installed too tightly, it can damage your hairline.

3. Wigs


Lace-front wig


I believe that this is an absolute essential for me - a wig! Although I usually just wear a wig once or twice in a year, (maybe more, depending on the crisis at hand), I love wigs because they are my saving-grace when I'm having a bad-hair-day! Sometimes tying a headscarf just won't do it, and sometimes it clashes with what I'm wearing. The perfect wig is what I need to not panic too much when I haven't sorted out my own natural hair. Like every other hairstyle, wigs have their pros and cons, more so cons, hence why I rarely wear them.

Pros

  • Very easy to maintain and you can let your hair breathe once you get home and take it off
  • You can keep an eye on your hair and moisturise it very easily compared to weave
  • You can choose whatever style, colour and length you want
  • Great when you're trying to hide hair loss

Cons


  • Wigs are notorious for causing alopecia (hair loss). Many women who frequently wear wigs now have receding hairlines.
  • Wigs tend to encourage laziness as the user feels no need to bother with their natural hair
  • Like weave, wigs are a pain in the butt during summer, with all the heat and the sweat. Eurgh
  • A good wig is usually expensive, but it's up to you to decide whether it's worth the cost or not.

To be honest, protective styles in themselves, be it braids, weave, wigs etc, tend to encourage laziness as people leave their hair alone for a month plus. Having the idea that your hair is now safe and sound underneath the protective style is dangerous and could lead to damage to hair. Remember to moisturise and seal your hair with an oil or leave-in conditioner to ensure it grows. Also, it's not just about what you put on the outside but also what you consume. Eat clean, drink plenty of water and your hair will show you its appreciation by not breaking easily, growing steadily and generally looking good appearance-wise! Have a fabulous weekend and remember, hard work pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment